Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Welcome to the Abstract Expessionism Room


 Mira Lisa Schiratis      one of three Laguna Beach artists interviewed here, creates brightly colored, abstract paintings. Working with oils, acrylics, palette knifes and brushes, she strives to connect artistically to the larger world. She recalls the history of abstract art and especially the philosophy of artist Wassily Kandinsky (1866-1944): "He believed in the social responsibility of artists."
                Abstract Expressionism | A Meditative Art Style

                                                  Winter Time, Mira Lisa Schiratis


                       I Become One With The Canvas
            "Primitive people created art to connect with the spiritual world. They were in rhythm with nature. Once I started painting seriously again, I felt purpose in life, knowing I could make a difference."
Mira Lisa says, "Art is an act of connecting with 'beauty,' that profound and mystical realm which soothes and uplifts, strengthening the true self. The canvas is a place where I become one with life. I experience an authenticity, an indescribable universality and a oneness with all humanity."
She studied art with Francoise Gilot - Picasso's former lover and apprentice - who taught her the elements of abstract expressionism: "She was very elegant and patient. She taught me about the importance of passion in art and the essence of composition and design," Mira Lisa says.
For several years, Mira Lisa has painted abstractly - often incorporating a face (similar to her own face) into the completed works. "I surround each face with expressive figures, influenced by petroglyphs and work with colors inspired by Matisse, Chagall and Gauguin."
These paintings are mystical and iconographic, filled with symbolism and figures, reminiscent of jewels. She explains, "Primitive people created art to connect with the spiritual world. They were in rhythm with nature. Once I started painting seriously, I felt purpose in life, knowing I could make a difference."

          Jackson Pollock (1912-1956), perhaps the most famous painter of abstract expressionism said, "When I am in a painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It is only after a sort of 'get acquainted' period that I see what I have been about. I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc, because the painting has a life of its own.
"I try to let it come through," Pollock continued. "It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well. When I am painting I have a general notion as to what I am about. I can control the flow of paint: there is no accident."


"Primitive people created art to connect with the spiritual world. They were in rhythm with nature. Once I started painting seriously again, I felt purpose in life, knowing I could make a difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment